The flagship program of Sirat Seminary. The program has been meticulously constructed to provide students- upon completion, with a critical understanding of the religion, through the pathway of traditional study and modern technology. Students begin by essential foundation building or ta’sil in the most important ‘ulum al-was’il or supplementary sciences, as well as grounding in the ‘ulum al-maqasid or main sciences, through beginner primers or texts and all the way through more advanced texts.
Registration: Until July 8th 2020 (extended)
Dates: Classes start Thursday July 9th to Sept 17th (11 lectures)
Time: Thursdays 8pm to 10:30 pm.
Price: £149.99 (Instalments available)
What will be covered this term:
–Radiance of Faith (Lum’at al-I’tiqad)– Ibn Qudamah
Imam Ibn Qudamah (a reputable scholar of the Hanbali Mathhab and author of multiple revered and important works) summarises the creed of the early muslims in this his seminal 6th century treatise. He covers issues of consensus amongst the early generations of the muslims, from a hanbali’/ athari viewpoint. The work was of such importance that it gain widespread acceptance and became a cornerstone of hanbali/ athari theological framework. This text will also begin to address some controversies in creedal positions of the Names & Attributes of Allah.
Heresiology (Study of Sects):
• A Summary of Sects and Religions (Al-Mukhtasar fi’l Firaq wa’l Adyan)– Dr ‘Isa al-Sa’di
The following texts will also be heavily consulted during study of this text:
- Theological Opinions of the Muslims (Maqalat al-Islamiyyin)– Abu’l Hasan al-Ash’ari
- Creedal Beliefs of the Seventy Three Sects (‘Aqa’id al-Thalath wa’s Sabi’in)- Abu Muhammad al-Yamani
- The Oxford Handbook of Islamic Theology
Sciences of the Qur’an (‘Ulum al-Qur’an):
-Introduction to the Sciences of the Qur’an- Ibn Juzayy
The introduction to the important exegete masterpiece of Imam Ibn Juzayy entitled: al-Tashil li ‘Ulum al-Tanzil, serves as a summary and primer into the Sciences of the Qur’an. Focus will be placed on all the main areas on ‘Ulum al-Qur’an.
–Tafsir Surah al-Fatiha
This foray into exegetical Quranic studies will begin with a study of the meanings of Surah al-Fatiha. A number of essential exegetical sources will be relied on ranging from the Tafsir of al-Tabari, Ibn Juzayy, Adwa al-Bayan, al-Tahrir wa’l Tanwir and others, with emphasis made on the tafsir of Imam Ibn Juzayy al-Ghirnati (RH).
Upon Completing the Term, students will receive a certificate of the completed texts and ijazat (licenses) in certain texts, as well as being permitted to progress onto Term 2.
LEARNING OUTCOMES OF LEVEL 1 (MULTIPLE TERMS)
- • Over 55 lectures and 100+ hours of content!
- • Live classes with dedicated Q&A
- • Regular examinations
- • Information packed practical training
- • Tailor-made course content by Sh Abu Safiyyah.
- • Practical learning experience with live project work and examples.
- Resources/ Books/ References
- Introduction to the Sciences of the Qur’an- al-Tasheel li Ulum al-tanzil – Ibn Juzayy – Lesson 1
- Introduction to the Sciences of the Qur’an- al-Tasheel li Ulum al-tanzil – Ibn Juzayy – Lesson 2
- Introduction to the Sciences of the Qur’an- al-Tasheel li Ulum al-tanzil – Ibn Juzayy – Lesson 3
- Introduction to the Sciences of the Qur’an- al-Tasheel li Ulum al-tanzil – Ibn Juzayy – Lesson 4 *Sunday Evening 9/8**
- Introduction to the Sciences of the Qur’an- al-Tasheel li Ulum al-tanzil – Ibn Juzayy – Lesson 5 *Thursday Evening 13/8**
- Tafsir Surah al-Fatiha
- A Summary of Sects and Religions– Dr ‘Isa al-Sa’di
- Radiance of Faith (Lum’at al-I’tiqad)– Ibn Qudamah
Access to Classes Will Be Available Here, After Registration!
Class (Zoom) Links and Recordings Available Below